Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Walk in the Park

Parque Centenario is a city park located just a few blocks from my office, in the heart of downtown Cartagena. Despite being a very popular spot, I can often find some interesting wildlife roaming around. Red-tailed squirrels (above) are the most common. They behave much like our park squirrels.
I've seen a couple of three-toed sloths in trees. I'm not sure how they got here--the park is in the middle of the city, surrounded by roads and buildings on each side.

Tamarin monkeys live in several family groups. They can be easily spotted darting through the trees, especially early in the morning before most people show up.
The green iguanas graze on grass and flowers; when I get too close, they dash up the trees. We've also seen iguanas in wilder parts of Colombia.

1 comment:

DentedPixel said...

For all the Tamarin enthusiast out there, I have just released a game for the iPhone/iPad that features a Golden-headed Lion Tamarin, called Monkeyshines! Here is the gameplay trailer: Youtube Video and you can download the game here: iTunes Link (10% of the sales are going to a leading conservation organization).